Neilston manager Kevin Muirhead has revealed his decision to quit was made on the touchline on Saturday as his team was beaten 4-0 by Kilbirnie Ladeside.

The Farmer’s Boys announced his departure in a social media post on Sunday, just hours after the defeat at Valefield Park.

Muirhead leaves with Neilston second bottom of the First Division, having picked up just two wins from 10 league games so far this season.

Craig Bingham and Ross Woods have also left the Brig O’Lea coaching team, with Andy Whiteford and Scott Perry taking over on a caretaker basis.

Muirhead told Barrhead Sport: “It was a decision that wasn’t taken lightly.

“Neilston are a fantastic club and I’ve been well supported since I went in at the start of the year.

“I felt like I was having the same conversations with the same players and not getting anything different out of it, so it made sense to step down.”

Muirhead, who joined Neilston from Muirkirk in January, said a lack of consistency was “killing” his team.

He added: “Craig and I had a discussion midway through the second half on Saturday that it was probably the final nail in the coffin and it was time to speak to the committee.

“The committee had asked me to sleep on my decision and, when I woke up on Sunday, I spoke to Craig and it was still the same outcome for both of us.

“The feedback from the players was good as well. A lot of them felt they had let us down, rather than us walking out on them, but I leave Neilston with some good friendships and I won’t be a stranger at the Brig.”

In a statement, Neilston said the committee had “reluctantly” accepted Muirhead’s resignation.

“Kevin and his team have worked tirelessly to build a squad since the summer and we would like to thank them for all their hard work,” the club added. “Andy Whiteford and Scott Perry will now take the team on a caretaker basis and a further announcement will be made in due course.”

Neilston return to action this Saturday as they play host to Cambuslang Rangers, with kick-off at 2pm.