Neilston’s aspirations of making a first-ever Macron Scottish Junior Cup semi-final appearance were given a reality check in quite atrocious footballing conditions at the Brig O’Lea on Saturday.

Any hopes of a historic run that were mentioned in the build-up to their quarter-final against Pollok were blown to smithereens as their opponents made the most of a second-half blizzard at their backs to run out 4-1 winners.

It was no more than the Premiership big guns deserved after demonstrating their greater pedigree in spades during an opening 45 minutes where they played into a strong and bitterly cold wind, yet still managed to battle their way to a 0-0 stalemate at the halfway stage.

READ MORE: Storm aftermath puts Neilston's Scottish Junior Cup showdown on hold

There was a sense the Farmer’s Boys had possibly lost their chance at that juncture, as the momentum was always going be with Pollok after the break, and the scene was clearly set for one of those occasions when the first goal of the game was going to prove crucial.

And how cruel it was for Neilston to concede when enjoying their best attacking spell of this tie and for one of their own – Lok striker Adam Forde, born and bred in the East Renfrewshire village – to hammer the first nail in their coffin.

The Championship outfit’s co-manager Chris Cameron said afterwards: “We took the initiative away from Pollok at the start of the second half and had a concerted period of pressure with the ball in and around their area but it’s at times like this when a team is at its most susceptible, as we found to our cost.

The Farmer’s Boys found it hard to assert themselves against Premiership side PollokNeilston co-bosses watch on as Premiership contenders Lok dump them out of the cup

“From nothing more than a shy just into our half, their full-back Sideserf has laid a short pass into the path of Fordy.

“We know all about his quality, yet he’s totally unmarked and is able to do what he does best in rifling a low shot into the back of our net from 25 yards.

“He has scored far too easily for our liking and it’s been a massive turning point in the game because Pollok have derived a huge confidence lift and gone on to dominate, even though I felt a 4-1 scoreline was a bit harsh on us.

“There had been little to choose between the teams for the first 52 minutes and we had chances of our own, albeit probably more half-chances than clear-cut openings.”

The overhead conditions prevented the Neilston defenders from clearing their line and contributed greatly to Pollok doubling their lead on 68 minutes, when Derek Esplin latched onto a wayward ball and squared for Chris Duff to smash a shot beyond goalkeeper James Digney.

Lok made it 3-0 minutes later as Gary McCann worked his way past a couple of challenges and cut the ball back for brother Stuart to fire low under the helpless Neilston keeper.

READ MORE: Farmer's Boys 'buzzing' ahead of Junior Cup clash against Pollok

Pollok grabbed a fourth on 84 minutes after Neilston stopper Daryll Convery’s attempted pass across his own penalty box went straight to Duff, and he curled a shot high into the net.

Neilston heads were understandably down, yet right from the restart came a final show of defiance as Steff Stirling worked his way into the box, only to be downed by Gerry McLauchlan. The resulting penalty was tucked away by Dylan Fletcher to put a better complexion on the scoreline.

The Farmer’s Boys are in Ardagh Group West of Scotland Cup second round action this weekend, with a trip away to Kilsyth Rangers.

Read all the latest from Barrhead Sport