Derek Carson admitted Neilston’s mental strength needs to improve after two lapses in concentration nearly cost them the match in their six-goal thriller with Darvel at the weekend.

Callum McKenzie and Paul Cameron put Vale ahead after Stephen Stirling’s opener before Dylan Fletcher levelled for Ton.

Robert Love looked to have won it – but Fletcher struck again to nab a point for the hosts.

Carson said: “Since we’ve came in, our record’s not been too bad and we’re trying to make this place a fortress so teams don’t come up here and leave with easy points.

“We went a month without a game, then we get a game, then we’re off again, but I think that’s us on a run now, so there shouldn’t be any more breaks, which is good for us.

“We switched off for the first two goals and, for the third one, their player had far too much space, he’s taken a touch and put it right in the top corner, so you can’t complain too much about that

“We got back into the game, scored another good goal and we maybe could’ve sneaked it at the end but we’ve not been beaten and I said that to the boys.

“To be honest, we’ll take the point. We spoke to the boys a few weeks back, saying we’ll play our own mini-league for the last seven games and tote up the points so the season doesn’t just wither out.”

Barrhead News: Neilston found themselves behind twice against Darvel as they battled to a hard-fought pointNeilston found themselves behind twice against Darvel as they battled to a hard-fought point

Both sides were busy early on but it was Neilston who took the lead on 19 minutes when Stirling volleyed beyond Darvel keeper David Markey from the edge of the box.

The Vale drew parity after Love sent a ball in while there was confusion as Neilston trialist keeper Sean Patrick and defender Robbie Halliday stopped in their tracks to allow McKenzie to capitalise and net on the half hour mark.

The visitors went ahead for the first time as Steven Tan set up veteran Cameron to waltz in and score on 36 minutes.

READ MORE: Neilston tie down key players as Carson prepares for next season

But that lead didn’t last long as the Farmer’s Boys levelled shortly after with a well-worked move that ended with Paul Stewart cutting it back to find Fletcher, who coolly slotted home.

After the break, the hosts had a shout for a penalty turned down when Stephen Docherty crashed to the ground. Despite the linesman advising it was a spot-kick, whistler Graham Grainger waved it away, much to the annoyance of the Brig O’Lea faithful.

And with 15 minutes left Vale believed they might have won it with a Love ‘worldie’ when he controlled the ball neatly with his chest and then rifled home from long range.

With the match being blow-for-blow, David Gordon found Allan Diack, whose pin-point cross from the right flank found Fletcher, who completed his brace to ensure the spoils were shared.

READ MORE:The Farmer's Boys return to Brig O' Lea with emphatic Cumbernauld win

Interim Vale manager Iain McCreadie said: “On the performance, I thought a draw was a fair result as we didn’t play as well as we have been in the past couple of weeks.”

Neilston are back in league action this weekend as they travel to face St Roch’s at James McGrory Park. Kick-off is at 2pm.