Neilston co-boss Chris Cameron reflected on a result that threw a spanner in the works for all promotion challengers as his team swept aside Cumbernauld 4-0 with a gritty second-half performance.

Allan Diack and Dylan Fletcher netted within a minute of each other after the break and super sub Alan Frizzell bagged a late brace as the Farmer’s Boys returned to their ground for the first time in five weeks with an emphatic win.

Several postponements meant Neilston had not kicked a ball competitively since the beginning of March – and it showed in the first half, with the Brig O’Lea side looking sluggish in the opening stages.

Cameron said: “We were under the cosh for the first 15 minutes but we knew that would happen, as they’re a decent side that move the ball about and we had to change the shape to keep up with them.

“I thought the first goal was going to be massive and we got it through the first bit of football we played in the game.

“From there, I couldn’t see them scoring. We were able to see out the game and it’s happy days for us.

READ MORE: Derek Carson challenged kingmakers to secure their Neilston future

“We’re delighted with a clean sheet, as we’ve been losing sloppy goals of late, so to score four and have nothing against us is great.

“To be fair to Cumbernauld, they are one of the best teams in the league.

“They might have had an off day against us but I know a lot of their team and they’re very good players and, since we’ve not been at Brig O’Lea since March 2, it’s a great result.

Barrhead News: Neilston secure third win on the bounce with 4-0 Cumbernauld demolishingNeilston secure third win on the bounce with 4-0 Cumbernauld demolishing

“Our form at home hasn’t been good but we got the three points and we want to turn this ground back into a place where teams don’t want to come again.”

A quiet first half was awoken on 16 minutes after Neilston keeper Nathan Brown punched Conor Scullion’s corner into the net under no pressure but whistler Gary Hanvidge saw something he didn’t like and controversially awarded a free-kick to the home side.

It was a different story after the break, however, with the hosts starting brightly and making the most of their possession when Fletcher sent a ball in from the left, with Diack out-jumping both Tony Stevenson in defence and static keeper King to nod home just after the hour mark.

Moments later, Cameron Haddow robbed Stevenson and found Fletcher, who managed to swing the ball behind King from an acute angle for a surprise two-goal lead for the hosts.

With the win now looking likely, Neilston went for the jugular.

Diack tried his luck and, while King parried his effort, Frizzell was on hand to nearly burst the net with the rebound on 86 minutes.

READ MORE: Depleted Neilston look sluggish in Maryhill friendly loss

With time nearly up, Paul Stewart sent Frizzell free and he beat King in a footrace before tying him in knots and expertly slotting home from just inside the box to deliver an emphatic home win in front of a jubilant Brig O’Lea crowd.

Frustratingly, Neilston are out of action once again this weekend, with their next league match taking place on April 20 against Darvel Juniors.