ARTHULIE boss Duncan Sinclair was left to rue individual errors as his side crashed out of the West of Scotland Cup on Saturday.

The Barrhead men were put to the sword by Glenafton Athletic as the Ayrshire team capitalised on defensive frailties to seal a 4-1 win and their place in the quarter-finals.

A brace apiece from Findlay Frye and Joe Andrew did the damage, with Lie responding through an own goal.

The game started with a flurry of goals as the visitors went ahead in four minutes when Frye finished off a good move at the back post.

READ MORE: Gary Rae fancies another night out at the Hydro

It was all level just two minutes later when Jamie Docherty saw his shot take a deflection past the Glens goalie.

There wasn’t even a quarter of an hour on the clock when Glenafton restored their lead as a ball into the Arthurlie penalty box wasn’t properly cleared and Andrew fired home.

The visitors then took command and, ten minutes later, should have increased their lead when Leon Murphy ghosted in at the back post but he headed wide with the goal gaping.

Arthurlie went close to levelling at the other end when a good run and cross from David Reid saw James Marks just fail to connect. 

With the first half all but over, Glenafton increased their lead as Frye fired home from the edge of the area.

READ MORE: Depleted Neilston look sluggish in Maryhill friendly loss​

After the interval, Reid saw his effort go wide before Tony Etherson was on hand to block an attempt.

However, 20 minutes later, it was game over as Arthurlie conceded again.

A break from Glenafton saw Andrew gather on the edge of the box, where he looked up and curled a great effort in off the post to make it four.

Lie produced an impressive performance against their high-flying opponents, despite the scoreline, and Sinclair has urged his players to use that as motivation in their final promotion push.

The Lie boss said: “We are a good team and sitting third in the league for a reason. We play good football and matched Glenafton on Saturday.

“We showed we are more than capable of matching Premiership teams, so it’s now up to the boys to go out there and make sure we have these games every week and not just in the cup.

“We didn’t start too well but then we were coming into it before we lost a silly goal.

“To the boys’ credit, they went up the other end and scored straight away but then we lost another cheap goal.

“They then scored right on half-time and that was a killer to us, as we were right back in the game and playing well.

“We were playing some good football and so were Glenafton. It was a really good game.”

Sinclair added: “At half-time, we asked the guys to keep their heads up and to try and play football and find a way back into the game.

“We were unlucky not to score and their goalie made some good saves before we were caught with the sucker punch at the end.

“I think 4-1 flattered them.

“The boys were great in the second half but you just can’t legislate for individual mistakes.”