NEILSTON co-boss Chris Cameron reckons it was a game of two halves as his team secured a 3-1 win at Renfrew on Saturday.

The Farmer’s Boys raced into a comfortable half-time lead at New Western Park but let their performance levels dip after the break.

Darren Jones found the net early on with a well-taken right-footed finish and Dylan Fletcher was also on target as Neilston found themselves 2-0 up after just 15 minutes.

Victory was all but wrapped up when Jones bagged his second and his team’s third with a header before half-time.

However, Renfrew pulled one back from the penalty spot in the opening stages of the second period.

Neilston’s lead never looked to be under serious threat but Cameron admits that, while he was pleased with the start his players made, he was disappointed by the way they let the hosts back into the contest.

He told Barrhead Sport: “We started the game really well and were 2-0 up early on. We had a high energy and tempo to us, which we were delighted with.

“We played well in the first half an hour before we let them back into the game and we didn’t really come out for the second half.

“In possession, we were pretty wasteful and we gave away a penalty, which Renfrew scored. We also gave them another, which thankfully they missed.

“Our decision-making and our workrate dropped to a level that allowed them back into the game, which was disappointing.

“It’s an easy fix. We just need to learn from it.”

Cameron’s team will round off their pre-season campaign this weekend as they take on Blantyre Victoria at the KG Stadium, with kick-off at 2pm and up to 250 fans allowed to attend.

Meanwhile, a U-turn by the Scottish FA means players from Neilston and Arthurlie’s development squads who were born in 2001 can compete in this season’s Lowland Development League.

As last season’s league was scrapped due to the Covid pandemic, the governing body was asked to extend the age limit for the 2021/22 campaign, so that players in that age group could compete and gain valuable experience.

However, with just weeks to go before the start of the new season, the request was knocked back, leaving almost 500 young footballers across the country in limbo.

Now, after a social media backlash, the SFA has reversed its decision.