BARRHEAD residents have hit out at firebugs who torched former stables twice within 24 hours.

The mindless vandals set fire to a cluster of buildings near the town’s Boylestone Road.
Crews from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service were called to the scene on Monday, February 1, and had to return again the following day to deal with a second incident.

Eyewitness Yvonne Gent described how she heard “popping” noises from outside her home and, when she went to check what was happening, could see a well-developed blaze.

She told the Barrhead News: “I felt absolutely sickened by the actions of whoever set fire to the old horse stables.

“In the last week, there were at least four deliberately-lit fires and the ones on the Monday and Tuesday night were huge and very frightening for all of us who live here, especially the people who live close by.”

Yvonne, 49, believes the wet weather prevented even more damage.

“If it hadn’t been such a wild night, with torrential rain, I dread to think what might have happened,” she said. “It was such a violent fire.

“I think what shocked me more than anything was the size of it – it was huge. It was a massive inferno and it was terrifying.

“We live along the street from where the fire was, so I can’t imagine what it was like for those who live across the road from that bit of land.

“It is such an anxiety-provoking thing to think someone could be in the darkness setting fire to things.

“This is such a nice neighbourhood to live in and for something like this to have happened has been a shock to the system for all of us.”

Police have confirmed an investigation has been launched.

Inspector Stevie Scott said: “We attended two incidents within 24 hours at disused stables after reports of fires being set.

“Scottish Fire and Rescue were also in attendance and confirmed to attending officers that, on both occasions, the fires were started deliberately.

“Police are continuing with their enquiries and anyone with any information can contact us on 101.”