BARRHEAD residents have slammed mindless firebugs who torched three cars within the space of 20 minutes.

Thousands of pounds worth of damage was caused as a Dacia Sandero, a Vauxhall Crossland and a Vauxhall Corsa were set alight in Harelaw Avenue, Patterton Drive and Balgray Crescent.

Police have confirmed they believe the three incidents are connected.

READ MORE: Police arrest teenager for spitting at officers in Rouken Glen Park

Lori Wilson told the Barrhead News how her 19-year-old son had parked his black Vauxhall Corsa in the driveway of their Balgray Crescent home for the night before his 21-year-old brother noticed flames and smoke outside.

“My son had to shout on all of us to wake us up but the fire had really taken hold of the car by then,” she said. “It was the noise of something exploding that alerted him.

“The fire spread to the roof of my other son’s bedroom and it could easily have spread to the rest of my house.

“We are so grateful a unit from another fire station attended, as the Barrhead team were busy putting out fires involving two other cars in the area.

“It’s just so sad for us and the others who lost their cars that mindless idiots can do this to innocent people.”

Lori is urging anyone with information about the arson attacks to contact the police.

She said: “If anyone knows anything, let the police know. Nobody should get away with this.

“Life is hard enough just now without having to cope with this too.”

Ian Fox, who lives in Harelaw Avenue, witnessed another car being torched.

He said: “Luckily, everyone was safe but this could have been much worse had the car exploded between the houses.

“It was across the street and a few doors down from my house. I woke up around 1.20am with the popping noises coming from the fire and I looked out the window and could see the fire.

“When I went outside, I could see that it was a parked car that was on fire. At first I thought it was someone’s house.

“There were some locals out and about but one neighbour living next to where the fire was taking place was still in bed.

READ MORE: Plans lodged for residential village development on Caldwell Estate​

“Once we got her out, the fire brigade arrived.

“It was a frantic 15 minutes waiting for them to come and put out the fire.”

Detective Constable Kieron Frost, of Greater Glasgow CID, said enquiries into the fires, which took place between 1.45am and 2.05am last Wednesday, are continuing.

He added: “We believe the incidents to be connected and I am appealing to anyone who was in the area at the time and saw or heard any suspicious activity or persons to get in touch with police as soon as possible.

“If you were driving in the area and have a dash-cam, I would ask you to please check back and see if there is any footage that may be able to assist our investigation.”

Anyone who can help the police with their investigation is asked to call 101.