A THUG who stabbed a teenage boy after losing the plot over a missing meal has been jailed for two years.

Derek Anderson kicked off and left his 17-year-old victim scarred for life after the assault at a house in Newton Avenue, Barrhead.

Paisley Sheriff Court heard on Friday how 48-year-old Anderson described himself as an alcoholic who had been sober for two-and-a-half years prior to the attack.

He had turned violent at his girlfriend’s home on October 20 because she hadn’t made dinner.

The woman left to go shopping for food and, when she returned, Anderson had left.

She sent a text before turning off her phone and going to sleep.

The court heard Anderson was feeling depressed and went for a walk, found an off-sales and started drinking.

He went to his father’s home in East Kilbride and continued to drink before returning to Barrhead.

Anderson started arguing with his partner again when the teenager, who was in the property at the time, went to her aid.

But Anderson grabbed a knife from the kitchen and stabbed him on the face and head.

Police who attended found the boy with blood pouring from his head. He later needed four stitches to his chin and six to his head.

Anderson’s defence solicitor told the court his client’s recollection of what happened was “less than clear.”

He added: “He accepts completely his behaviour was completely and utterly unacceptable. He is ashamed and embarrassed by it. He is fortunate he still has the support of his partner.

“Alcoholism is something he fights on a daily basis and unfortunately, on that date, he succumbed to the temptation.”

Anderson had previously pleaded guilty to assaulting the teenager, who can’t be identified because of his age, to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

He also admitted shouting and swearing, causing fear or alarm.

Sheriff James Spy said that, despite the plea in mitigation, it was a “very serious charge,” particularly with his past record, albeit from several years ago.

He jailed Anderson for a total of 24 months, backdated to October 21. When he is released, he must serve a 12-month Supervised Release Order and take anger management and alcohol misuse counselling as directed.