EXPERTS have issued a health warning to mindless teenagers who have been torching wheelie bins in a bid to get high.

There are said to have been a number of incidents in which youngsters have set fire to the bins, releasing toxic fumes in the process.

Some teens have then inhaled the fumes, not realising the serious damage they could do to their health.

Dr Iain Kennedy, public health consultant at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, has described such behaviour as “extremely dangerous.”

He told the Barrhead News: “The fumes from the plastic are highly toxic.

“It’s important that people realise they are not going to get high setting fire to bins but will put themselves at risk of poisoning.

“Plastics can give off a number of different toxic fumes, including carbon monoxide, cyanide and dioxins which can have immediate and long-term harms to health.”

Councillor Paul Aitken, who represents Barrhead, Liboside and Uplawmoor as an Independent, said he is aware of a spate of wheelie bin fires in the area in recent months, including one which took place near to the Carlibar Family Centre.

He added: “I was shocked and disappointed when I spotted the remains of a burnt-out wheelie bin in the grounds there.

“I am aware of several other incidents in East Renfrewshire involving groups of youths melting down wheelie bins in order to inhale the toxic fumes.

“I have a a few thoughts. First, it is a danger to the lives of the youths inhaling those deadly fumes. Second, it is a potential hazard to others.”

East Renfrewshire Council has urged local residents to report any suspicious behaviour.

A spokesman said: “It is extremely disappointing when mindless vandals cause damage like this.

“We would urge all residents to report any suspicious activity to the police and also remind people of the dangers involved when taking part in this type of senseless behaviour.”