A BARRHEAD man who was jailed after he shoplifted to provide for his mother due to problems with Universal Credit is back behind bars for a toy raid on a supermarket.

Patrick Boyd, 33, was locked up earlier this month after claiming he was left without any money due to controversial changes to the benefits system.

Paisley Sheriff Court heard he felt his only choice was to steal from the Asda supermarket in his home town, so he could sell the loot to get money.

Boyd, of Glasgow Road, appeared in the dock in October and pleaded guilty to an amended charge of stealing from the supermarket in Church Road, Barrhead, on October 18 this year.

He had been accused of stealing eight items to the value of £80 but pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of stealing one electric shaver, worth £40.

At the time, defence solicitor Terry Gallanagh explained that his client had been stealing goods to make sure he and his mother had enough cash to get by on.

Mr Gallanagh told the court: “He does not have a drug addiction.

“In recent times, there have been a rise in problems for people seeking to claim benefits and he tells me he is in that particular lacuna. He is waiting on Universal Credit.”

Sheriff Sukhwinder Gill was told Boyd cares for his mother, who has a serious heart condition and also suffers from mental health problems.

Mr Gallanagh added: “I hate to say it was out of necessity but she is on benefits but her benefits do not cover both of them, her benefits will only cover her.”

Sheriff Gill pointed out that Boyd had “a terrible record” of previous convictions, including a number of shoplifting offences from this year.

He was jailed over the Asda incident and a further four cases – stealing detergent from the store in March, making off with bedding and candles in May and pushing a woman and behaving in a threatening or abusive way there in April.

Earlier this month, he found himself back in the dock over an £80 toy theft from the store in May.

After hearing that the unspecified toys had not been recovered, Sheriff Gill ordered Boyd to spend a further four months in prison.

She told him: “I remember you appearing before me about a week ago.

“You have a horrendous record."