A POLICE officer has gone on trial accused of leaving a man in need of hospital treatment by assaulting him in a Barrhead street.

Constable Richard Hardcastle, 25, is said to have injured Sean McNeil during an attack in Cross Arthurlie Street on April 9, 2017.

Mortgage advisor Mr McNeil, 28, was rushed to hospital after allegedly being pushed over railings and falling backwards, striking his head off the ground.

He underwent a CT scan at Paisley’s Royal Alexandra Hospital.

PC Hardcastle faces a single assault charge over the alleged incident and went on trial at Paisley Sheriff Court last week.

Mr McNeil told the court he was a coach with the Arthurlie Juniors under-19 team at the time.

He said he was with some of the players and others at the Arthurlie Social Club and then the Arthurlie Inns after a game and had drank between six and eight pints of lager, leaving him “merry but definitely not drunk.”

Mr McNeil told the court a fight broke out in the Arthurlie Inns, which saw him being punched.

He said he then left the pub with his dad Michael and another man and spoke to police officers who arrived to investigate the disturbance.

Mr McNeil, who said he is 6ft 4ins tall and weighed 18st 2lbs at the time, claimed one of the officers pushed him over railings at the side of the pavement, leaving him sprawled on the road.

He added: “He must’ve pushed me pretty hard to move me over the railings and onto the pavement.

“I hit the back of my head."

Mr McNeil said he felt “groggy” after the incident.

He continued: “There’s no need for him to push me like that.

“I was shocked and embarrassed. I’m quite a private person, it was common knowledge. Barrhead is quite a small place and everyone was talking about it.”

Mr McNeil’s dad also gave evidence, telling the court he didn’t see his son being pushed, as he was talking to a police officer at the time.

However, describing the aftermath of the incident, he added: “My son was on the other side of the road. He was just lying motionless.

“I tried to get to my son but I couldn’t, I was stopped by a police officer.

“He was very, very vague in his responses.”

The witness denied claims from PC Hardcastle’s solicitor that his son had been aggressive and laid his hands on the officer.

PC Hardcastle maintains his innocence and the trial, before Sheriff Hugh McGinty, has now been adjourned until next year.