The widow of an East Renfrewshire policeman who died in the Clutha disaster has hit out at the conclusions of a Fatal Accident Inquiry into the tragedy.

Lucy Collins lost her 43-year-old husband Tony when a police helicopter ploughed into the roof of The Clutha bar, in Glasgow, on November 29, 2013.

Six years later, the findings of the inquiry into the tragedy placed the blame on Captain Dave Traill, saying the chopper pilot "took a chance" and ignored fuel warnings.

However, speaking publicly about the disaster for the first time, Mrs Collins said she believes the FAI process overlooked crucial evidence.

She also made it clear her husband had full confidence in the flying skills of Captain Traill, from Lochwinnoch.

Mrs Collins said it had been difficult for her to contribute to the FAI process and she felt the evidence had been wrongly focused on her husband’s family life, rather than his confidence in Captain Traill.

“Tony was an experienced air observer, having worked as such for eight years," added Mrs Collins. “He trusted Dave implicitly as the hugely experienced and skilled pilot he was. I feel this is important information that Tony would have wanted me to share.

“I am not an expert in anything mechanical and I don’t profess to offer any kind of expert knowledge on this but I do know that Dave was trusted by Tony as a diligent and skilled professional.

“This statement was submitted to the FAI but I don’t believe that it was used by the Sheriff Principal because he wanted the relatives’ statements to be focused more on Tony’s personal and family life.

“I felt very strongly that I wanted all those involved in the inquiry to know that Tony had trust and confidence in Dave Traill."

Mrs Collins continued: “I think it is important, now that the determination has been made so very public, that I reiterate Tony’s confidence in Dave. That is, after all, what Tony would have wanted.

“I felt that Tony's unwavering trust in Dave Traill was the most important and relevant information that we could contribute to the FAI.”

More than 100 people were in The Clutha when the helicopter crashed while heading back to base.

The FAI concluded the crash happened when the aircraft's engines flamed out sequentially while airborne due to fuel starvation after the supply tank was depleted.

PC Collins, from Clarkston, was among 10 people who died in the disaster.

Other victims included Colin Gibson, 33, from Neilston, who had been enjoying a night out at the pub.

A spokesman for the Air Accident Investigation Branch said it stands by its final report into the disaster.

The Crown Office declined to comment.