WORK is underway to repair damage to an East Renfrewshire beauty spot after it hosted a three-day music festival.

The area’s MP, Paul Masterton, is among those who have complained about the state of Rouken Glen Park following the Playground Festival, which took place in early August.

He has written to East Renfrewshire Council chief executive Lorraine McMillian to express concerns that, weeks after the event was held, he could still see debris littered across the festival area.

READ MORE: Youngsters are taught how to design their own furniture

The Conservative politician also reported that deep tyre tracks left behind by heavy machinery have filled with water, resulting in areas of the award-winning park becoming ‘no-go zones.’

The damage also affected the planned Kids Party in the Park event, which took place weeks later and had to be moved at short notice to another section of Rouken Glen.

Mr Masterton said: “The festival was ultimately a success and well received across the community, however the park remains a mess.

“East Renfrewshire Council and the organisers must provide a clear timetable for when we can expect the affected areas to be returned to normal.

“I visit the park with my family and have no problem with events of this kind taking place in East Renfrewshire, provided that organisers and the council are mindful of residents’ concerns, continue to liaise with the community and do everything they can to protect our green spaces.

“With the festival likely to take place again next year, residents are looking for assurances that this will not be a recurring matter.”

A council spokesman confirmed work to restore the festival site to its original condition is underway, including removing all remaining materials, rolling the grass and re-seeding affected areas.

READ MORE: Neilston schoolboy wounded in horrific axe attack

He told the Barrhead News: “We continue to work closely with the organisers of the successful Playground Festival event, which was held in the park at the start of August.

“Returning this area of the park to its pre-event state is an absolute priority and was part of the original agreement with the organisers.”

The spokesman also said “unseasonably wet weather” made it impossible to carry out the required work as quickly as had been planned.

He explained: “If the work had been carried out any sooner, the machinery required would have caused more damage to the area.”