A MAN is facing a jail sentence after he left a baby badly injured by repeatedly hurling him into the air.

Charlie Boyle had been playing with the 12-week-old boy in June 2017 and claimed the tot was “laughing”.

But the stricken child ended up in hospital after becoming unresponsive and floppy.

On Monday, a judge heard the baby could have died if it hadn’t been for the urgent medical help he received.

Boyle, 22, initially went on trial accused of attempted murder but agreed a deal to admit a reduced charge of culpably and recklessly throwing the tot to his severe injury and to the danger of his life.

He had his bail continued and will return to the dock next month to learn his fate.

Read More: MSP praises NHS for fantastic IVF figures.

The High Court in Glasgow heard that Boyle was supposed to be caring for the tot at a house in Neilston on June 5, 2017.

The boy’s mum told the court: “Charlie was good with kids.”

However, it emerged she had previously warned Boyle not to throw the baby into the air – only for him to ignore the instruction.

A distressed Boyle called his own mum on the day of the incident, stating the boy “was not moving.”

The child was soon rushed to intensive care and was found to have bleeding near the brain and the eyes. He also suffered seizures.

Prosecutor Ashley Edwards QC said: “A doctor has confirmed the child’s life was in danger and, without medical treatment, he might have died.”

The boy recovered but will continue to be monitored by medics.

Read More: Is your child safe online?

He had been seen by a specialist neurology clinic up until last December.

Another doctor stated “significant trauma” would have been needed to cause the injuries.

Boyle, from Paisley, told police he had been playing with the child while the baby’s mum was out.

Miss Edwards said: “He advised he had been throwing the boy up into the air before catching him. He described his actions as not having hold of the child before he caught him.

“Boyle stated the boy had been enjoying this and laughing.”

The court heard he told officers of doing this “three times” before the child started crying and his eyes closed.

Boyle said he only thought the baby was tired, so he put him in his pram, but the child soon began making “squeaking noises” and appeared “lifeless.”

Miss Edwards said: “He told officers he was too scared to tell hospital staff that he had thrown the child in the air as he would ‘get blamed and get the jail,’”

The earlier attempted murder charge had included claims Boyle repeatedly shook the boy and caused him to strike his head against a floor or wall.

It emerged that Boyle’s current partner is heavily pregnant and due to give birth later this month.

Lord Clark deferred sentencing for background reports to be prepared.

Read all the latest from Barrhead and beyond.