A TEENAGER was left with his internal organs hanging out of his stomach after being stabbed in a Barrhead street.

Stephan Downey, 18, suffered shocking injuries as a 15-year-old thug plunged a knife into him during a horrific attack outside a Post Office in Cross Arthurlie Street.

Paisley Sheriff Court heard how Mr Downey ended up in a high dependency unit at hospital after being treated for his injuries, which included two puncture wounds and a cut on his small bowel.

His attacker, who is now 17 but can’t be named for legal reasons, appeared in the dock last week to admit stabbing Mr Downey in October 2017.

Procurator fiscal depute Keri Marshall told the court the attack took place at around 7.20pm as Mr Downey and a friend passed the youngster and a crowd of other youths outside the Post Office.

She said: “The witness Downey stopped and questioned the accused about an alleged previous incident which happened on a train a month before.

“The accused denied being involved in the incident and laughed at the witness.

“Mr Downey then became involved in a heated argument with the accused and, during the heated argument, the accused stepped forwards towards the witness Downey, pulled his right hand from his jacket pocket and struck the witness to the stomach area.”

The court heard that Mr Downey initially believed he had been punched in the stomach and started to walk away but then noticed his attacker was armed with a knife.

Miss Marshall added: “On closer inspection, Mr Downey realised he had been stabbed in the lower stomach.

“There was very little blood but it appeared some of his internal organs were protruding from the wound.”

The boy’s lawyer said he had managed to turn his life around after being placed on a curfew by social workers in a bid to keep him out of trouble.

And she claimed her client only lashed out at Mr Downey on the night in question after he had stepped forward towards him.

Sheriff Tom McCartney called for background reports to be prepared and continued the case until next month for sentencing.

He told the boy: “This is a very serious matter and all sentencing options, including detention, remain under consideration but I will make no decision on that until I’ve seen the reports which I have asked for.”

The youngster could be caged for up to five years when he returns to the dock.