A BARRHEAD road was closed for several hours after a van caught fire.

Grahamston Road was shut off to drivers on Saturday when a vehicle from gas distribution network firm SGN went up in flames at around 8.40am.

Engineers had been called out to the area to deal with “emergency repair work” to a gas main when the blaze occurred.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation, however, SGN confirmed to The News that no one was hurt during the incident, although one employee, a 23-year-old man, was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

Lynne Edwardson, spokeswoman for SGN, said: “Our engineers attended and carried out emergency repair work to our gas main in Grahamston Road on Saturday, January 7.

“During the repair, there was an incident involving an SGN vehicle catching alight.

“The fire service and police were in attendance and worked together with our engineers to make the situation safe.

“This is a highly unusual occurrence and the cause of the incident is currently under a full investigation.

“There were no injuries sustained to anyone on-site and repairs and safety checks have been carried out.”

Police worked with the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service to redirect traffic in the area and the road was eventually reopened later that night.

A fire service spokeswoman said: “The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted at 8.40am on Saturday, 7 January to reports of a van on fire at Grahamston Road, Barrhead.

“Two fire appliances were immediately mobilised and on arrival quickly put out the fire. One male casualty was taken by ambulance to hospital as a precaution.”

Neither the police nor the fire service were able to confirm the man’s age.

Inspector John McQuilter said: “Police were called to an incident involving a van which caught fire on Grahamston Road in the early hours of Saturday.

“Officers assisted fire crews with traffic management.”

Temporary traffic lights were expected to be removed from Grahamston Road late on Monday, January 9