AFTER Arthurlie’s game against Glenafton Athletic was called off earlier this month, Robert Burns took a look back at a week in Lie’s history when the Barrhead side did take to the field.

On February 1, 1919 Arthurlie lost 4-1 to Renton in the Western Cup. The Western League and Cup was set up, as was an East equivalent after the outbreak of WWI halted the senior leagues.

Although they were on a downward spiral and were eventually dissolved in 1922, Renton previously laid claim to being football world champions.

Following their 6-1 victory over Cambuslang in the 1888 Scottish Cup final they challenged their English counterparts, West Bromwich Albion and after winning declared themselves as ‘champions of world football.’

In the junior era goals from Bulloch and Nugent secured a 2-1 fourth round Scottish Cup win over Linlithgow Rose in 1992.

February 2, 1907 saw St Mirren knock Arthurlie out of the Scottish Cup at the first round stage, 2-1.

The Saints had proved to be a bogey team for the Barrhead side as they knocked them out of the Scottish Cup in five consecutive seasons from 1886-1890.

On February 3, 1900 Arthurlie went down 3-1 to Royal Albert in a league meeting but 23 years later when the sides met at Barrhead it was Arthurlie who gained the points by an identical score line.

Harris and Arthurlie’s first junior internationalist Conwell both scored against Yoker Athletic in 1934 but it wasn’t enough as the Whe-Ho won the league encounter 5-2.

Six thousand were inside Fir Park on February 4, 1905 to watch Motherwell beat Arthurlie 1-0 in a Scottish Cup first round replay.

1933 saw Arthurlie suffer their biggest ever defeat in their junior history when Ashfield hit nine without reply in a league match played at Saracen Park.

Ashfield were also the opponents in the infamous Scottish Cup tie played at Barrhead in 1961.

A goal ahead, Ashfield were awarded a penalty which was saved but ordered to be retaken, to which the Arthurlie players walked from the pitch in protest.

The supporters then took to the field, as a melee ensued, the game was abandoned with the tie latterly being awarded to the Glasgow side.

On the 6th in 1926 there were almost 5500 at Dunterlie Park as goals from Kilpatrick and Ballantyne secured a 2-2 Scottish Cup second round draw against Clyde.

Three days later the sides met in the replay at Shawfield Stadium where the 14,000 in attendances saw the hosts sneak through 1-0.

Fulton, Quigg, and McLaughlin scored as Jimmy McQuade’s Arthurlie beat Baillieston 3-1 at Dunterlie Park in 1999.

Arthurlie put up a fantastic display on February 7th 1914 but they just fell short as they went down to a solitary goal to Queens Park at Hampden Park but they would have sent their supporters amongst the 14,000 plus crowd home proud of their endeavours.

Charlie Hobbs grabbed a double against Auchinleck Talbot in a league match played at Barrhead in 2004, Frank Lynch’s side lined up as follows, Sexton, Jack, Travers, McKeown, McShane, Ryan, Downs, Robertson, Hobbs, Rae, and McGarvey. Subs: McGovern, McKenzie, Madden, McCann and Allison.