ARTHURLIE went down 2-0 to Beith at Bellsdale Park on Saturday in what was Stevie Kerrigan’s last game in charge of the Barrhead side writes Robert Burns.

He resigned as Arthurlie manager the following day.

In what is a running theme for Lie this season, they once again failed to last the 90 minutes with 11 players on the pitch as Gary Smith was sent off late on.

The first chance of the game fell to Arthurlie. Mark Blakey gathered on the left before striding forward and cutting inside but his right-footed effort was wide of the target.

Straight from the restart Grindlay kicked long and when the ball eventually made its way to Mclean he raced through before shooting across Grant Hay’s goal and narrowly wide.

Beith had another chance soon after but Hay made a fantastic block to deny Burke before Gavin Rushford cleared. Play swung to the other end and Martin Curren went on a great run beating three players before being hauled down but the resulting free kick came to nothing.

Eddie McTernan almost got through just before the quarter-hour mark. A long ball over the top from Rushford saw McGlinchey try and cushion a header back to Grindlay, but he was short with his effort and Grindlay had to race from his line to gather the ball before McTernan could get there.

On the half-hour mark Christie, went on a great run ghosting past two Lie defenders before putting an inch-perfect cross over for Burke six yards out – but Hay somehow managed to tip his effort over.

Shortly afterwards Christie went on another great run and cut inside but his shot was blocked by Hay. Burke shot from he rebound but Hay again blocked before Ryan McGregor cleared the ball away.

Claims for a penalty from the home side were quelled when the referee noticed his assistant’s flag was up for an offside call against Burke and Arthurlie got out of jail.

The last five minutes of the half saw both sides have chances. A Blakey free kick saw Grindlay save while Hay did likewise at the other end from a Burke header but the sides went in for the break goalless.

The hosts went ahead after 75 minutes. A poor header in the heart of the Arthurlie defence allowed Christie to gather before hitting home the opener.

Gary Smith was introduced for Curren almost immediately after as Kerrigan looked to freshen things up – and soon after the travelling support thought their favourites had got back on level terms but Grindlay made a great save to deny Blakey.

Daryl Convery was brought on for Scott Gair as Arthurlie looked to get back into the game, but it was Beith who looked most likely to add to their lead and Hay made another top-notch save to deny Christie.

Five minutes were left on the clock when Smith was shown a straight red for a lunge that although didn’t have any impact on the result means he will miss games through suspension hampering the already lightweight squad.

Collins struck in the dying moments to make it 2-0.

Beith: Grindlay, McGlinchey, McMenamin, McLaughlin, Sheridan, Wilson, McGowan, Frize, McLean, Christie, and Burke Subs: Collins, McPherson, Watt, McArthur, and Martin Arthurlie: Hay, McGregor, Blakey, Rushford, Gair, Nimmo, Curren, Leyden, Gemmell, Carroll, and McTernan. Subs: Nugent, Convery, Smith, Munday, Trialist.