What a difference a week made for Arthurlie, from the high of the 3-0 win over Troon to the low of Saturday’s 4-3 defeat away to Largs Thistle as three players saw red.

It really was a night and day performance from Arthurlie who started with the same 11 players but just couldn’t hit the heights of the previous week as Largs claimed their first points of the season.

The home side went ahead after just 10 minutes. A long ball found its way to Marks who turned Jordan Chisholm before finding McWaters who curled the ball past Grant Hay to open the scoring.

The game’s major flashpoint came after 25 minutes. A long ball from Largs saw Chisholm and Love tangle and fall to the ground, Love kicked out at the Arthurlie man and as players from both sides got involved Fleming put his head in Craig Palmer’s face with the Arthurlie full back retaliating and receiving a straight red alongside the original perpetrator Love.

McWaters spurned three chances in quick succession to put his side further ahead. First he forced Hay into an excellent save from a Marks cross then he blasted the rebound over from three yards out.

Soon after he shot over again when sent through on the Arthurlie keeper.

There were five minutes left of the first half when Arthurlie got on level terms.

Mark Blakey played a neat ball through the heart of the home defence for Ian Nimmo to run on to before coolly guiding the ball home past Lundy.

In the dying minutes of the half the trialist defender for Largs was shown a second yellow card, reducing the hosts to nine men.

The second half started as the first did with Largs scoring early on. Marks crossed for McWaters whose weak shot broke to Jamieson who was given too much space and fired home with his left foot.

Despite the fact they were a man down Largs went further ahead on 12 minutes, a long through ball from Fisher broke to McMaster who bundled home number three.

Arthurlie were handed a lifeline a minute later however.

Ryan Deas sent Gary Smith through but his shot past Lundy came back off the post, Fleming, in rushing back to trying to clear, put the ball straight into his own net to make it 3-2.

It wasn’t to stay like that for long however and on 62 minutes the hosts regained their two-goal advantage.

Martin Curren lost possession on the edge of the area and when McDonald squared the ball Marks found himself in acres of space and he rolled the ball home.

Nimmo and Marks had chances at either end before Chris Mackie and Daryl Convery entered the fray for Arthurlie with Gair and Nimmo making way, and on 72 minutes Arthurlie reduced the deficit when Curren glanced home a header from a Graham Girvan cross.

Brian Turner replaced Chisholm but despite both teams having more chances there was no further scoring and Largs ran out winners.

Largs: Lundy, Fisher, McMaster, Trialist, Jamieson, Little, Fleming, McDonald, Marks, Love, and McWaters.

Subs: Gilbride, Bennett, Struthers, Graham, and Little.

Arthurlie: Hay, Girvan, Palmer, Blakey, Gair, Chisholm, Deas, Nimmo, Smith, McGregor, and Curren. Subs: Mackie, Convery, Turner and Nugent.