THERE was a busy weekend of action for Barrhead YFC’s nine competitive 11-a-side teams, here a selection of the club’s results.

Arkleston Barrhead AFC 3 FC Argyle 3

Goalscorers: Kelly, Browne and McLachlan.

It was a frustrating afternoon for the Barrhead Amateurs despite twice fighting back from a losing position.

Early in the second half FC Argyle took the lead from a front post header which was defended poorly. A few minutes later and Barrhead were two down.

But Kelly managed to bundle the ball over the line before Browne levelled the game at 2-2. At this point Barrhead should’ve gone on to grab the winner but it was FC Argyle who broke and with their third chance of the game made it 3-2 with 15 minutes to play. Arkleston Barrhead again went looking for the equaliser and it was McLachlan on his returning debut who scored the goal of the game with a 20-yard free kick to take a point.

League Cup quarter-final

Barrhead YFC 21s 0 Steins Thistle 0 (Steins won 7-6 on pens)

The first of two quarter finals back to back saw the 21s lose out on penalties to a stuffy Steins side. Barrhead found the visiting goalkeeper on top form.

A penalty shootout was required to separate the sides and after conversions from, O’Donohue, McLaughlin, Etherson, McNeil and Bradley, MacMaster made a save which gave McGrory the opportunity to put Barrhead through but his effort was saved. McFarlane scored to keep the sudden death going but again the visiting keeper made another save this time from Love to put Steins through.

Scottish Cup last 16

Barrhead YFC 2003 Reds 6 Arbroath 0

Goalscorers: Ingram, Scott, Barclay, Groden, Lochead and O’Hare.

Barrhead are through to the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup after beating a strong Arbroath team. Barrhead made the break through on 15 minutes, Ross Ingram was put through one on one with the keeper and he finished well.

The second goal in the game came five minutes into the second half Vincent Scott tapped in from close range after some great work on the flank from Paul O’Hare. Sam Lochead, Paul O’Hare, Lewis Barclay and Josh Groden all got on the score sheet.

Barrhead 2003 Reds now progress on to the quarter final of the Scottish Cup next Saturday, February 4, against Stenhousemuir at the Cowan Park Astro with an 11am kick off.