Neilston co-manager Martin Campbell praised his side’s second half performance as they came from behind to win 5-3 against Irvine Victoria at Brig O’Lea. 

The Farmers’ Boys found themselves 2-0 down at the break, but a stunning comeback saw them score four goals in 20 second half minutes to turn the game on its head.

It was an edgy start for both sides in difficult conditions, but the visitors settled first and opened the scoring 12 minutes in when former Neilston player Hamish McKinlay beat the offisde trap to drill a low effort past Marc Wilson.

The Vics doubled their lead on the half hour mark with poor defending from the home side contributing. McKinley was once again afforded time in the box and the striker remained composed to slot it through the keeper’s legs to grab his and his side’s second.

Neilston did carve out chances in a strong finish to the first 45 but they couldn’t make them count.

A few choice words from Campbell had the desired effect as Neilston pulled one back six minutes into the second half thanks to Dylan Fletcher. 

The home side levelled minutes later when Paul Stewart laid it off for Scott Smith.

Roles were reversed five minutes later as Smith turned provider, playing it through for Stewart. 

And Fletcher completed the comeback just after the hour mark, taking advantage of poor defending to make it 4-2. 

Neilston found themselves down to 10 men when goal scorer Smith picked up two yellows in one minute before Vics were handed a lifeline when Marc Wilson spilled a cross into his own net. 

Campbell’s side restored their two goal lead with 20 minutes to go when Stewart grabbed his second of the day and it was a nervy finish after they were reduced to nine men with 15 minutes remaining, but Neilston saw it out.

And Campbell admits that harsh words were spoken at half-time. 

He said: “After some decent performances this season that was one of the worst 45 minutes that we’ve seen. 

“We had a stern word with them at half-time and they reacted very well to it, although I probably couldn’t repeat what was said. I think the boys got the message and great credit to them because they certainly reacted to it. They took it on the chin and done what was asked. 

“We said at half-time that if we get the next goal we can go on and win it, and that’s what happened.”

Neilston now look ahead to next week’s visit to Craigmark Burtonians after a promising start to the Championship. The bus leaves Brig O’Lea at 11.15am on Saturday for the trip to Dalmellington.