Following the postponement of Saturday’s league game against St Roch’s, Neilston quickly arranged a friendly against Super league side Largs Thistle at Battlefield Stadium.

The scoreline flattered the home side, with Neilston playing the final minutes with nine men due to the sending off of Paul Young and new signing, Rab O’Neil forced off injured. Neilston haven’t played a competitive game since the start of December last year when they won 3-0 at Port Glasgow.

The home side opened the scoring in the ninth minute when Alex McWaters curled in a free-kick into the top corner after Neilston conceded it on the edge of the box. Neilston went close to equalising when Allan Diack headed just the bar from Simon McBryde’s free-kick. But the hosts doubled their lead 10 minutes later when Nicky Jamieson rose unchallenged to head home from McWaters’ corner.

Neilston pressed forward for a goal, but couldn’t get past the well-organised defence and misplaced passes.

The visitors pulled a goal back five minutes into the second half, after good work from Alan Frizzell who stole the ball in midfield and passed it to sub Paul Stewart who found Martin Curren to drill his low shot into the bottom corner.

But it was 3-1 just three minutes later, Thistle restored their two-goal lead when Martin Orr was allowed to turn inside the box to fire home.

Neilston responded with Simon McBryde’s shot being well saved by Sean Graham. Minutes later he also tipped Paul Stewart’s shot onto the crossbar. The away side fell further behind in the 77th minute when they lost the ball in midfield and Gary Struthers won the tussle with O’Neil to square to Scott Adam, who rounded the keeper and knocked the ball into the empty net.

Neilston then lost Young after he was shown a red card, picking up his second yellow card. Things got worse when O’Neil went off injured and Neilston had used all their subs and weren’t allowed to bring another on.

Largs scored their last goal in the dying minutes when Scott Adam’s initial shot hit the post and rebound came off Robbie Kelly into the empty net to make it 5-1.

Neilston hope to return to league action against St Roch’s on Saturday, with the bus set to leave Brig O’Lea at 11.30am, with the game kicking off at 1.45pm.

The management team have made further changes, releasing both strikers David Edwards and Steven Fitzpatrick by mutual consent, with the club wishing both players all the best for the future.

Ross Geddes has also joined Johnstone Burgh under-21s on loan.

NEILSTON: Tiropoulos (Kelly), Milne, Payne (Convery), Clark (O’Neil), Diack (Young), Docherty, McStay (Curren), McBryde, McLean, Fletcher (Stewart), Lovering (Frizzell).