AFTER a dominant opening period, Arthurlie suffered a second-half collapse to fall to a 4-1 defeat at Hurlford United on Saturday writes Robert Burns.

Lie’s Marc McKenzie and Chris Lennon were terrifying the home defence with their pace early on and after 12 minutes Arthurlie almost got their noses in front.

Great play by McKenzie saw the ball end up in the Hurlford area, the ball eventually made its way just outside the area where Graham Girvan tried his luck but couldn’t find the target.

Soon after McKenzie was at it again, holding off his marker he waited until Colin Spence made his run before playing him in, the Lie midfielder dropped his shoulder before curling a left footed shot that went inches past. It was one way traffic at this point, only one team in it and not a matter of if Arthurlie would score just when it would happen.

After 24 minutes the goal did come, but against all logic it came at the other end when a cross from the right wasn’t defended well and Jenkins was unmarked at the back post to sidefoot home the opener from Hurlford’s first attack.

On the half hour Watt saw his effort deflected for a corner that ended up with Steven Tart clearing down the right channel to McKenzie, he took one touch to control then he finished expertly from the angle of the box to level the tie.

The second half started with the hosts on fire, they targeted the Arthurlie back three, playing balls into wide positions behind the wing backs and causing all sorts of problems. After 50 minutes it was 2-1 to the hosts.

Hurlford’s McKenzie took a fresh air swipe at a ball across but somehow managed to spin and catch it with his opposite foot, firing past Grant Hay.

It was Hurlford’s McKenzie who was terrorising the defences in the second half and on 70 minutes he gathered the ball on the right, moving inside he managed to make his way across the edge of the Lie penalty area unchallenged before helping the ball onto Watt who curled a great effort back into the opposite corner.

Six minutes later the game was over when Watt gathered on the edge of the box and shot home low to make it 4-1.

Arthurlie: Hay, Girvan, Chisholm, Tart, Walker, Spence, McKenzie, McAleenan, Daly, Craig, and Lennon.

Subs: Wyper, Wilson, Brennan, Lindsay, and Nugent.