AFTER Arthurlie’s clash was postponed last Saturday, Robert Burns has a look back at this week in Arthurlie’s history as well and at one of his favourite Lie players from yesteryear – Robert Stevenson.
March 1, 1924, saw Arthurlie and Mid Annandale share four goals in an old Third Division match played at Kintail Park.
Arthurlie were to go on and win the league in its first year of existence and one of the reasons for that was the scorer of both goals on that day – a certain William Agnew. Agnew started his career at Pollok before playing for Ayr United and Falkirk and then signing for Port Vale in 1921.
A season later the then 24-year-old headed back north signing for Arthurlie whom he stayed with before moving to Luton Town in 1925. Two seasons at Luton and he was off on his travels once again, this time heading east when he signed for Providence Clamdiggers who played in the American Soccer League, quite an adventure indeed.
March 2, 1927, saw Elliot hit both in a 2-2 draw with Armadale at Volunteer Park in front of 500 spectators. Pollok came out on top 3-1 in a Central League Cup match in 1968. To, to show I’m im unbiased it must be added that this game was part of a run that saw Pollok unbeaten against Arthurlie for 17 seventeen years, a 4-0 in August 1964 saw a run of defeats and draws that wasn’t ended until a 2-1 win at Newlandsfield Park in October 1981.
The third in 1928 saw over 3,000 inside Bayview Park as hosts East Fife cruised to a 6-1 win in a league match, Bryant netting the consolation goal.
It was Helenslea Park in 1945 when Arthurlie edged Parkhead 6-4 in a league match, McGrotty, Taylor, Winters, and Davidson netted while Sloan added the other two.
March 4, 1893, saw Motherwell visit Barrhead on league business but the Steelmen left empty handed as a double from Dougal secured a 2-1 win.
Born in Barrhead in 1869, Robert Stevenson was a centre-back by trade but was equally at home playing centre-forward. H, he signed for the newly formed Third Lanark in 1892, the following season he played in the Scottish Cup semi-final against Celtic.
Third Lanark lost 5-3 and he moved to London to work for Donald Currie & Company and played for the works team Old Castle Swifts. He also occasionally turned out for Woolwich Arsenal.
In 1895 Arnold Hills, the owner of the Thames Iron Works, decided to establish his own football team. During the club’s first season Stevenson was captain of Thames Iron Works and played as full-back and centre forward.
At the end of the season he went back to Scotland to play for Arthurlie. Thames Iron Works are still in the game, now known as West Ham United. Barrhead and Arthurlie boast their first ever captain. Also Woolwich Arsenal, well you can guess.
Halfway during The Irons’ second campaign of 1896-97 Stevenson returned to Scotland, joining Arthurlie.
Can you help Robert Burns’ archives? Send in your pictures and clippings to help give the Arthurlie greats of years gone by the profile they deserve.