TWO teenagers have been rushed to hospital following an incident in an East Renfrewshire park on Tuesday evening. 

The two boys, who are both 16-years-old, were taken to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital after suffering a stab wound and head injury in Overlee Park, Clarkston. 

The boy who was allegedly stabbed with a screwdriver remains in hospital, while the other has since been released. 

A third teenager was also treated for minor injuries.

Police were called to the large-scale disturbance between Overlee Park and Netherton Braes at around 8.15pm. 

A helicopter was deployed by officers to help deal with the indicent, with ambulance crews taking the injured to hospital. 

Politicians in the area have expressed their concern after the incidents, which happened just hours after schoolchildren received their exam results. 

Eastwood MSP Jackson Carlaw said: “This was the happiest of days for many young people across Eastwood. That it should end with a shocking and violent incident is as unacceptable as it is alarming.

"My best wishes go to the boys injured together with my hopes for a full and early recovery.

"Uninformed speculation does not help. It is important that due process allows the facts to emerge and I would encourage anyone who was present and who has information to come forward.

"Together with my colleague Paul Masterton MP, I will be in touch with Police Scotland and I have also contacted the Justice Secretary, Humza Yousaf MSP who has previously lived in the immediate area.”

Mr Masterton added: "This was an extremely frightening incident and my thoughts are with those injured and their families. I hope the two boys taken to hospital make a full and speedy recovery.

"I would also like to send my thanks to the emergency services who attended quickly to bring the situation under control.

"Yesterday was a day for young people across East Renfrewshire to celebrate fantastic achievements in their exams, and for it to have ended like this is truly shocking."

Police are now appealing for anyone with information to come forward. 

Detective Sergeant Jim McLauchlan from Cathcart CID said: “We believe this to be an isolated incident involving two separate groups of teenagers in the area and extensive enquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances around what happened.

“Police are following a positive line of enquiry in relation to the incident and I would urge any members of the public who were in the park yesterday evening and witnessed a disturbance, or anything at all suspicious, to get in touch.

“Anyone with information is asked to contact Cathcart CID via 101, quoting incident number 3675 of Wednesday 7 August 2018. Alternatively you can call CRIMESTOPPERS on 0800 555 111 where details can be given in hospital.”

Inspector Bryan McGeogh from Giffnock Police Station added: “I understand this incident will cause concern amongst the local community however I would like to reiterate that it is believed to be isolated and police are following a positive line of enquiry.

“Additional patrols will be in the area to provide reassurance and I would urge anyone with information or concerns to approach our officers or contact Giffnock Police Station via 101.”